Today is National Arbor Day so let’s celebrate the importance of trees! Arbor Day was founded back in 1872 by J. Sterling Morton with a simple idea – set aside a special day for tree planting.
If you are looking for inspiration for your own celebration, whether for a classroom or an entire community, here are a few suggestions.
- Hold an Arbor Day ceremony
- Organize a “Big Tree” or “Oldest Tree” search in your community
- Plant a tree
- Write a story, play or skit about trees
- Read a book about trees
- Hold an Arbor Day Birthday Party for your community
- Organize a tree identification hike
- volunteer with a local tree-planting organization
- Encourage neighborhood orgnaizations to hold Arbor Day block parties